Saturday, May 15, 2010

Free day in Dublin


I really know my way around Dublin now. This is our free day around the city, so I wanted to complete my last goals on the list. I wanted to get a photo of me by the river, go inside St. Patrick’s Cathedral, and take a tour of Guinness. I am pleased to say I accomplished my goals, and at that, very early in the day! I woke around 8:30 and finished at 11:30.

So first, I headed down to the river and got my photo taken. It was pretty easy and fast. Then I walked to the St. Patrick’s Cathedral. I received a student discount. It is beautiful inside and even has a gift shop. I bought a postcard and something for my Grammy. Then I headed to Guinness. Along the way, a group of people had me be their photographer. It was funny because they were drunk! After this, I arrived and also had a student discount here. Guinness has floors of information, like how it’s made, where it is in the world, and more. It also has samples for people (although I did not take any), a gift shop (where I bought a postcard), and a few places to eat.

Once my self-guided tour was over, I went to the store and bought Happy Hippos. They are adorable candies I found here shaped like hippos. I bought one for me and one for my family. They are surprisingly really good! They are not Irish, but I have heard of them and have never seen them in America before.

This is my last day in Dublin. Tomorrow we will be checking out. I will definitely miss it because I really can see myself living here. My roomies and I took a photo together.

Once I got back from my morning adventures, I relaxed for a little and packed everything up. In the afternoon, I headed back out to just walk around the city some more. It was really fun to just wander around. I actually stumbled upon a great experience. Henry Street is open to pedestrians and has many shops, restaurants, entertainers, and fruit stands. There were hundreds of people. It was crazy and exciting to see. I bought an ice cream along the way. He had soft serve, so I asked for twist. He did not know what that was, so I said it is chocolate and vanilla twisted together. Once again, he was confused and said he only had chocolate soft serve or vanilla soft serve. So apparently, they do not know what twist is. It may be an American thing. I learned something new about ice cream in Ireland!

At 6:30, I met with Gabrielle and Ryan for Irish food, dancing, and music. This was at the Arlington Hotel from 7:30 until 10:30. It was a very cultural experience! I had a carrot orange soup, which was actually really good. My meal was Irish Chicken. I also had a yummy chocolate mousse cake for dessert. Then there were two guitarists and one violinist. They played some great Irish songs, like "Molly Malone." Finally the Irish dancers came out. It definitely felt like I was in Ireland when I saw this. My favorite part was when they danced a cappella. It was very fun to watch! Although it was hard to take photos in the dark room, I got some good videos of this.


I am heading to bed now. Dublin has been a great experience! Tomorrow I'll be getting up at 8 and heading to Cobh, Ireland at 9.

2 comments:

  1. I want a Happy Hippo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your final Dublin email & pictures. Glad you had a fun time in Dublin. I love you.

    ReplyDelete